A Look I Attempted: Rocky Horror Picture Show's Magenta-Inspired

So, lately, I've really been into re-creating this look because I've been watching the somewhat "sequel" to it, "Shock Treatment". Also, I love "Rocky Horror Picture Show", and this was a look I did for Halloween last year (I spent it at home, but who says you can't make a Halloween look and celebrate it inside, right?). When I did this, I didn't think of taking step-by-step photos, so sorry about that. 

You have options to either wear false lashes or not, as I didn't. Also, I didn't have lip liner with me so my lipstick/tint looks pretty messy. 

Also, I'll probably post another "What's New" tomorrow, seeing as I've compiled quite a few photos to show everyone. 



Products Used:
  • Aritaum All Day Lasting Primer
  • Laneige BB Cushion Pore Control - #13
  • Aritaum Full Cover Concealer Stick - #01 Light Beige
  • Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
  • Banila Co. Eye Love Cushion 3D Brow - Gray Brown
  • Etude House Drawing Eyebrow - Dark Brown
  • Etude House Look At My Eyes - BR06, BR03
  • Etude House Play 101 Pencil - #1
  • Nature Republic By Flower Liquid Eyeliner
  • Aritaum Honey Melting Tint - Apple Tart
  • Innisfree Vivid Tint Rouge - Sunny Red
How-To:

1. If you've got combination skin like me, with an oily t-zone and dry cheeks, then it's best to put on a mattifying primer, also to even out your skintone. Prime your eyes as well for the heavy eye makeup that will come. 

2. Do some concealing. Under-eye circles, visible blemishes, etc. Also it helps to do your concealing before you do your foundation. 

3. Pat on your cushion foundation/foundation of choice. Magenta's face is really pale, so it's best to go for a really light, almost white shade. This look is quite dramatic and theatrical, given that it was actually a musical before it became a movie. The same goes with "Shock Treatment". Set your base with powder, especially in areas where your makeup creases or the oily areas of your face. 

4. Fill in your brows. There isn't too much focus on Magenta's brows, since the main focus would be on her eyes and her lips. Fill them in like you usually do. I had to put on 2 kinds of products since the cushion brow gel I had seemed to be acting up on me.. if that was possible. 

5. As a base color, put on a medium-brown, kind of taupe shadow all over your lid, or at least according to your eye shape. Patricia Quinn (the actress who played Magenta) had really round eyes, so it's best to do it according to your eye shape. If you've got a cream shadow, even better. 

6. Then take a darker brown shadow and put it all over your lid as well, until your crease and just before your brow bone. Again, follow your eye shape. If you've got uneven eyes like mine, then you can try and even it out. 

7. Take a black eyeshadow and pack it on all over your lid until it's a few millimeters away from your crease. The brown eyeshadow you put on should still be seen. While I was doing this, I forgot I didn't have black eyeshadow, so I stuck to my black eyeliners to do the job. While you're at it, line your eyes, and your lower waterline with the black liner as well. 

8. This part is optional, well, for me anyway. Curl your lashes, then put on some falsies! The more dramatic, the better. For the lower lashes, make them look as spidery as possible. If you don't have falsies, here's a tip: paint them on! With your liquid liner, paint on some lines on your lower lashes to create the spidery effect. 

9. Line your lips with a lipliner. To keep your lipstick from bleeding as well as to define the shape of your lips. 

10. Put on some red lipstick, whatever shade of red you have on there. To be really accurate, Magenta had on a darker, almost scarlet or crimson kind of shade of lipstick. 

And ta-da! You've got your look! I could probably do something for "Shock Treatment" for those of us who have watched the movie. The look for that one is simpler since Patricia Quinn plays a doctor alongside Richard O'Brien (who played Riffraff in RHPC and who wrote and composed the whole musical) and Nell Campbell (who played Columbia in RHPC). 

Comments

Popular Posts